Friday, October 10, 2008

Freaky Friday?

So we're officially in the worst market crash since the Great Depression. But you know it's not the Great Depression because people like my 18 year-old sister don't really understand what's going on. She's still living her carefree teenage lifestyle, working at Starbucks, getting speeding tickets, and being hit on by boys that are too old for her (e.g. some guy who had a crush on ME in high school...without knowing she is my sister...ASKED HER FOR HER PHONE NUMBER! HILARIOUS!!!!! Yes, there is a very strong resemblance between us...which makes it THAT much funnier).

Anyway, I'm just bummed about this economy right now. It just plain sucks.

The only thing we can do is to keep on keeping on. So that's what I'm doing.

I had an AWESOME run last night! I went to my usual track workout Tuesday evening where we did 12x300 at 5K pace with 100 recovery. It was hurting by the end but I made it. By yesterday evening I was still feeling that workout, on top of the morning swim where we had done 42x50 (not all in a row, but it would go 7 x50 fast, 2x50 easy; 6x50 fast, 2x50 easy, etc.).

Me (in the new super cute running skirt!), Mel (SUPER FAST!) and Tori ->

Still, I was determined to get out to the Thursday evening trail run. The legs felt a little crunchy at first, but kind of tired in a good way, if that makes sense. I ran the first section with the fast people and noticed that my heart rate wasn't even getting too high...awesome! But then the fast people were going to go longer and get 9 miles in and there was no way I was doing that. So I ran with Tori and Lisa around the lake at an easy pace for another 2 1/2 miles and it was awesome! 3.58 miles total. My legs feel great today, even after teaching spin this morning.

Funny story about teaching spin...I started having this dream about teaching this morning. The stereo was being fussy and I was getting annoyed. Suddenly I woke up and looked at the clock: 5:25!!! HOLY CRAP I NEED TO LEAVE IN 5 MINUTES!! My alarm had been set for 5:00 a.m. - and I KNOW I set it last night. I must've been so tired I shut it off in my sleep. Scary!

So yesterday I didn't feel like making a sandwich. I had some nice onion, apples, pecans, eggs and thought "I'm going to give that Curried Egg Salad another shot." I hardboiled the eggs perfectly this time and added a little more apple (because I love it!) and I enjoyed it a lot more this time.

Curried Egg Salad Recipe: (from 101 Cookbooks.com)

5 good quality eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (your favorite)
3 tablespoons plain yogurt

2 big pinches of salt

1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 medium apple, chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 small bunch of chives, minced

First off, you need to boil the eggs properly (the key to good egg salad!). Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by a 1/2-inch or so. Bring to a gentle boil. Now turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for exactly seven minutes. Have a big bowl of ice water ready and when the eggs are done cooking and place them in the ice bath for three minutes or so - long enough to stop the cooking.

While the eggs are boiling and cooling, combine the yogurt, curry powder and salt in a tiny bowl. Set aside.

Crack and peel each egg, and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add the curried yogurt, onions, apple, pecans, and chives. Now mash with a fork. Don't overdo it, you want the egg mixture to have some texture. If you need to add a bit more plain yogurt to moisten up the mixture a bit, go for it a bit at a time. taste and add more salt if needed. Enjoy as-is, or served wrapped in lettuce or between two slices of good, toasted bread.


I didn't enjoy it in the lettuce as much as a piece of toasted pita bread, but since I didn't have pita, the lettuce sufficed. Pair with some falafel and tsatziki and MMMMM! Nice lunch!

Here was today's spin mix:

1. The Way - Fastball (pre-class)
2. Rapunzel - Dave Matthews
3. Stayin Alive - Bee Gees
4. Jerk It Out (remix) - The Casesars
5. Two Step - Dave Matthews
6. Black Irish - Devil Makes Three
7. Mercy - Duffy
8. Harder Better Faster Stronger - Daft Punk
9. Family Affair - Mary J. Blige
10. Gotta Get Thru This - Daniel Bedingfield
11. Senorita - Los Lonely Boys (cool down)
12. Outta My Head - Fastball (stretch)

And that's it. Hoping to get a nice fall ride in tomorrow morning and enjoy the colors of fall in Sonoma County, and headed to a vineyard tomorrow afternoon with some good friends for a Harvest Party where you drink, eat, drink more, and then camp in the vineyard so you don't have to drive anywhere. Perfect!

8 comments:

triguyjt said...

sarah,....
I wish I had extra cash early this afternoon to scoop up some bargains as the dow was -560/// its up 80 now...

you are rocking with those track workouts..and swims..etc...

the food stuff looks insanely good

Anonymous said...

Wooo hoo that's some serious workout time. You are some kind of athlete my friend. And so well rounded...a gourmet to boot!

Sounds like you're having a great week...the economy is a mess but we can keep our bodies in good condition!

Eileen Swanson said...

hey there, when are we gonna meet up? where are you this weekend or next? still wanna try that chicken salad sanwich of yours! ha ;-)

kelly said...

Hey Sarah,
I live in SR too!! Tell Tori hi for me. I've known her for a long time. Maybe we can get together and run someday. Nice blog, too.

beth said...

great recipe. great playlist. great running...i LOVE getting out on the trails.
have a great weekend! hope your ride today was fun!

beth said...

great recipe. great playlist. great running...i LOVE getting out on the trails.
have a great weekend! hope your ride today was fun!

Chris Westall said...

I've been a bad blog friend... I read an don't post :-|

Anyway... sounds like you're hangin in enjoying life and doing some Serious workouts!

Keep the recipes coming.

Oh... and I'd really like to know where I can get a spin workout cd... any ideas?

Rainmaker said...

I like those type of swim workouts where you get to mentally keep busy - much better than super-long sets. Although I oddly also miss those. I'm swim-confused I guess. :-/

Nice job on the track!