Indeed, Wednesday is my most difficult day of the week. I teach spin twice. It’s not even the double workout that makes it tough. I’ve done two workouts in a day plenty – as have most triathletes. That part is nothing new. And sheez, I get a whole 12 hours in between so it’s REALLY just fine!
No, I think the issue with Wednesdays is simply that I’m TEACHING two spin classes. And working all day in between. My main problem is that I’m not planning ahead well enough and it seems it is beginning to catch up with me. For example, instead of being the smarty pants I KNOW I can be by getting all of the week’s spin classes together on Saturday or Sunday, I inevitably whittle away my time so that Sunday evening I really only have time to plan Monday’s class. Then Tuesday rolls around; I go to swim practice from 5:45 – 7:00 p.m., come home, eat, and by the time I’m sitting down to plan Wednesday’s double duty it’s about 9 or 9:30 p.m. Theoretically I would be getting ready for bed by then. Oops.
The realization is finally hitting me that this ‘process’ really needs to stop or I will break down and it will begin to affect how I teach. I don’t want that. I’m trying to get through this nasty cold; lack of sleep isn’t aiding in recovery now, is it?
Just like everything else I do, I’ve finally realized that if I want to continue to be a good spin instructor I really need to plan out when I will be writing out classes and honor that plan. Time to GET WITH IT! Out of curiosity to anybody out there who coaches/teaches as a side job – do you have a routine that works for you to get this kind of stuff done?
In spite of my stress I am CREATING FOR MYSELF (that’s how I know I need to get my act together – it’s stress that I am unnecessarily bringing on MYSELF!), I still absolutely love teaching spin. Seeing my students improve in their ability to push themselves, in their form on the bike, in their willingness to commit to working hard – it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Oh and I love finding new music. If you haven’t checked out the soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire, you should! Some great workouts songs on there!
On another note…slight schedule update:
March 14 - Solvang Century Ride- Done!
- NEW: April 12 – Artichoke 10K (Pescadero, CA) – Maybe
- April 19 - Santa Cruz 10K – a NO GO if I do the Artichoke 10K
- April 26 - "Just Go" 10K (Santa Rosa)
- June 7 - Tri For Real #1 Olympic Distance (Folsom)
- July 4 - Kenwood 10K
- July 12 - Tri For Real #2 Olympic Distance (Folsom)
July 19 - Donner Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance (Truckee, CA)
- July 19 – Trans Tahoe Relay (Lake Tahoe) – WOOO!!!
- August 9 - Tri For Real #3 Olympic Distance (Folsom)
- August 22 - Santa Barbara Triathlon (MAYBE)
- September 13 - Escape From the Rock Triathlon (San Francisco)
- October 25 - The Big Kahuna Triathlon (Half-IM) (Santa Cruz)
- Insert Date Here - Some Half Marathon
Today’s spin song list:
- Children – Robert Miles
- Life on a Chain – Pete Yorn
- Two Step – Dave Matthews
- Aaj Ki Raat - (Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack)
- Bottom of the Barrel – Amos Lee (recovery)
- Mercy – Duffy
- Maneater – Nelly Furtado
- Shot in the Dark (remix) – Chris Mancini
- Send Your Love – Sting
- Get the Party Started – Pink
- Bicycle Race – Queen
- Tainted Love – Soft Cell
- It’s the End of the World – REM
- Faith – George Michael