Sunday, June 22, 2008

In the spirit of brevity...

Okay, okay OKAY!!!!!


I still think I didn't write very much in that last post - it was really just the videos that made you all think it was long.

In ANY CASE, I have a spin class to teach tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. and still have to write the class/put music to it. So I'll keep this brief.

This weekend I:

> Ran a 10K on Saturday. It sucked. It had 1500 feet of climbing, was wide-open with no shade and at 8 a.m. at the start it was already nearing 85 degrees.

The sun was already high in the sky at 7:00 a.m....

Normally I wouldn't gripe about this too much but what made it worse was that on Friday I began to feel...weird. I wasn't hungry (not like me AT ALL!). My stomach hurt. My lower back hurt. Friday night I was running a low-grade fever and couldn't sleep. I took two asprin (finally caved...) and slept.

Woke up and said "oh, I feel alright. What the hell?"


The hills came one after another. All I could think was "oh not another f-ing hill. " I would stop to walk up and every time I did I was getting lightheaded and dizzy. I silently cursed myself for going. Anyway, it took me 1:10 (I think the woman who won did like 57 minutes) and a lot of determination. I was just glad I'd opted for the 10K instead of the 13.1 miles (two loops). Ugh.

>Went to cheer Lee on during the Terrible Two on Saturday.

What a mother f-ing HOT DAY. It was easily into the 100s by 11 a.m. I hightailed it from Vallejo up through Napa and back into Sonoma County so I could get up to the Geysers to cheer Lee. Unfortunately I missed him by 10 minutes. Still, my friends were there helping other cyclists out with water and scaring them up the hill in their costumes of speedos and wigs (these are grown men, mind you). Hilarious!

Then we went over to Lake Sonoma to wait for Lee at that rest stop - mile marker 112. The time ticked on but no Lee. We began to be worried. The cut-off time was 1:45 p.m. - if you arrived after that, they said you could not go on. Lee arrived just after 2, completely exhausted from the heat. Physically, he was okay, but he said his bike computer had been showing triple digits for the last 3.5 hours. Ouch!! We were pretty bummed for him but I am so proud and impressed by all of the training and commitment he put into preparing for this ride.

>Spent Saturday evening being sicker. Apparently it's NOT a good idea if you don't feel well to go run a 10K and then spend your day traipsing around Sonoma County following cyclists in the extreme heat and sun. Still NO APPETITE whatsoever (so weird for me) and fever. More ugh.

>Woke up Sunday feeling better. I played in the garden with my tomato and cucumber plants I
(Me and the Ace tomato plant)
transplanted last weekend. They are getting SO TALL WITH ALL THIS HEAT!!! I've gotta get some stakes for them!

These are my SunSweet tomatoes!

My parents came to visit and that was great. Then I rested more.

That's all I got. Happy wishes for a great week!!!


Kelly said...

that was a good try at short :)

i'm sorry you feel sick. get better! way to tough out the 10K

and it HAS been soooooo fucking hot, I don't understand what's going on

Eileen Swanson said...

Cute picture of you!! Reid said he only saw one guy on a scooter in his undies. He finished in 14 hours. AWESOME! I am so proud of him.

Now, when are we going to ride together?


Paul said...

It was a super hot weekend. At least you survived :)

Rainmaker said...

I love the photo of you next to your tomatoes. All so proud of your little 'babies'. ;)

Before ya know it, they'll be all grown up and having kids of thier own.