Friday, April 14, 2006

Something's gotta give

I don't know how many times I've heard my mother say in her sternest voice "Sarah, you're just burning the candle at both ends. You need to SLOW IT DOWN or you're going to get sick! You wonder why you get these little colds all the time, and I'm not going to feel bad for you!"

Okay, Mom. Okay okay OKAY - I'm finally going to concede, throw up the white flag and say "you're right." (She never reads this blog anyway, so it's safe to say that here!)

This week kind of sucked for me in some ways because it forced me to take a good look at my calendar and realize that I'm just not doing the best job that I can in terms of training. I'm not taking this seriously enough and I definitely don't want to be disappointed at Wildflower. I've stayed up late nearly every night this week and I hate that feeling when you have to wake up and you just don't want to. Or after lunch when all I can think about is crawling under my desk and napping for a nice 20-30 minutes. That's not from eating too much at lunch time. It's from not getting enough sleep.

The thing about all of this is that it's somewhat of a Catch-22. If I get up early in the mornings to exercise, it allows me a few hours in the earlier part of the evening to go out and be the social butterfly that I enjoy being. As long as I'm disciplined and make it back home around 9 p.m. then it's all good (in the hood). If I stay out a little later though, then waking up is a TOTAL nightmare and if I oversleep it means that I'd need to work out in the evening. The problem with this setup is that if I have a week like this past one, I've allowed no wiggle room in my schedule - Tuesday was a little happy hour with my co-workers that we've had planned for the last 4 weeks or so (couldn't miss that!), but then I went out with a friend for Burmese food and ended up staying out until what should have been 11 p.m. but I SLEPT THROUGH my BART stop and ended up at El Cerrito Del Norte so I didn't get home until about 11:40 p.m. instead; Wednesday was Passover and while I'm not Jewish, it was Ben's family's Passover and they have the BEST Passover around and it is simply a night NOT to be missed - I was very grateful to attend, but once again - bed time didn't happen until 1 a.m.; Thursday I went to the Giants game and actually made it to bed by 10:45 p.m. so that was good. Still, though, my plans for the week in terms of workout have gone to the birds and this is just not a way to set a precedent for my season.

The problem is that I am so used to going out after work for a couple of hours, but really, there are going to be some weeks where I'm going to be working out in BOTH the morning and evening...so I need to get used to having a lighter social calendar. As the subject says, something's gotta give, and it's certainly not going to be exercise.

The one thing I do have to give myself credit for right now is that I finally started stretching. I stretched yesterday morning, last night before bed, and this morning upon waking. I did some specific stretches to stretch the plantar faschia, and WOW. My left foot is definitely headed toward plantar faschiitis-ville. I could really feel the difference in the stretching. That was another wake-up call. Guess I'm completely awake by now.

So...the social calendar for next week only has two things: Thursday evening I'm hanging out with Kendall and we're going to catch up and also talk about things for my bike. Friday evening is...

The 2nd Annual REVIVE THE VIBE!!

An evening to promote awareness about brain tumors and raise money for the National Brain Tumor Foundation, this event is going to be AWESOME!

Details (in case anybody is reading this and wants to join in the fun, you are SO WELCOME to do so!):
Where: The DOT Lounge, 1625 Post Street, San Francisco, CA
When: Friday, April 21, 9:00pm - 2:00am
Cost: $15 will be collected at the door and 100% of the proceeds will benefit NBTF
Questions? Email trejo@braintumor.org

Okay, now that my shameless plug is out of the way, I still think I'm going to refrain from posting a training plan for next week just yet.

Why don't I try for the next 3 days...
Saturday: Swim/Spin, maybe even a light run afterward, just to get that whole spin->run transition in
Sunday: I'm volunteering at Glide Memorial for their Easter breakfast from 6 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Then I'll head up to Napa and if it's not raining, maybe bring my bike and go for a nice ride up there. Otherwise maybe just a run up there. I'd love to ride my bike, though.
Monday: Swim in the a.m., ride my bike in the evening? I think that would be neat. I'll be honest and say that I'm already sick of riding around Berkeley. I think I'm totally spoiled by those North Bay rides with the lack of cars.

That's all for now. Just going to take a deep breath and try to slow it down a little. My mom would be proud (if she actually ever read this).

No comments: