Monday, April 17, 2006

I feel SO GREAT!!

After the last post, I felt great about getting all of that out. Writing all of that really helped me to flesh out what was important and realize where my priorities need to be at this point. I also thought "well, maybe I haven't completely gone about training in the way that I should be, but you know, I still feel pretty good." I'm bummed that I haven't had as much bike time as I would have liked to, and haven't been able to get out on the track at all, which is another thing that would be good (kind of difficult with all of the rain).

So right now I'll recap the weekend, talk about why I feel so great, and then go ahead with the week plan. THREE WEEKS UNTIL WILDFLOWER! I am *so* excited.

Friday 4/14: Swam about 2200 yards - got to workout late but it was still a good swim
Saturday, 4/15: Intended bike ride...so I got my arse out of bed at 5:20 a.m. and hit the road by 5:55 so that I could be at Lee's by 7 (in Santa Rosa). Even as I woke up and looked out toward Marin, I had this sinking feeling that rain looked imminent. Still, so as not to incur the wrath of Lee in the follow-up email on Monday, I was up and at 'em, determined to show up with a smile on my face and ready to ride! However, right as I finished crossing the San Rafael bridge, buckets of rain began hitting my windshield and I was forced to turn my wipers on their maximum speed. "No way," I thought. I didn't even have my rain gear with me, so riding in weather like that was completely out of the question. I called Lee and told him I was turning around...because it sounded like the ride was definitely being called off! I later came to find out that they did 30 miles and 750 feet of climbing in a mix of sun, clouds, wind and some rain. Oh well. I still got a workout in...

I returned to Berkeley and did the following:
2400 yards of swimming from 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Roughly 7 miles of running post-swim for 59 minutes
30 minutes of stretching post-run

The swim was great and so was the run! Got caught in the rain for the last 10 minutes, but that was okay.

I felt slightly sore on Sunday but I actually think that was due more in part to the stretching than the running. I've been stretching upon waking in the mornings and right before bed, as well as post workouts and I really can feel the difference. I feel looser and my muscles don't feel nearly as tight. I haven't had any plantar faschiitis pain at all because I've been taking care to really stretch the bottoms of my feet every day. Even though my sleep amount has been slightly less than desirable, I still feel very refreshed, and I do believe the stretching has a lot to do with that.

Sunday 4/16: Nada. Easter Sunday and I volunteered at Glide Methodist Church in the a.m., had breakfast afterward and then drove up to Napa to hang with the fam. I stretched again before bed but that was it. It was a wonderful day. I really love my family!

Monday morning, 4/17: Walked for 10 minutes, then ran at a moderate intensity for 20. Stretched afterward. Napped for 10 more minutes. Feel great.

I can't figure out why my mood is so positive right now, but I just feel good. I feel good about the exercise I did this w/e and I'm really happy that I started this stretching. Good food helps. I had good food yesterday. :-)

Plan for the week:

Monday, 4/17: Evening spin or swim, I can't decide yet...(prob swim)
Tuesday, 4/18: a.m.: Lift with Christine, then run; 6:30 p.m. swimming
Wednesday, 4/19: a.m. bike ride (5:50 a.m. - 6: 10 a.m.) followed by an hour swim from 7:15 - 8:15 a.m. (I get to go into work later today)
Thursday, 4/20: a.m.: Lift with Christine, then run (maybe on the track?);
Friday, 4/21: a.m. bike ride, p.m. swim (don't have to be in SF until 8:45 p.m.)
Saturday, 4/22: BIKE RIDE I HOPE!! (is now a rest day)
Sunday, 4/23: BIKE RIDE I HOPE!! Probably will try and fit a short swim in there as well.

Hmmm...that's 7 days straight. Ummmm...I could see making Saturday a rest day, especially after a late night Friday night. Yep, Saturday = rest day. I just haven't been riding enough! I could see doing a nice easy spin for 45 minutes just getting out there on the road on Thurs evening before I meet up with Kendall. That could work.

And tonight's agenda (after the swim)...I have a hot date...

with my taxes!!

No comments: