Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blogging is hard work!

I'm trying to stay up on this stuff, but MAN! It is difficult to stay on top of things, even with short entries. Before I know it, practically a week has gone by and I haven't written a thing. Here's a recap of what's happened since last Friday:

Friday, 3/17: Swam at 6:15 a.m. in 1:25 lane. Had a pretty good workout, stayed in my intervals.

Saturday, 3/18: Met my dad for breakfast at 6:30 a.m. and ate a hearty breakfast of two pancakes and one egg, plus toast. That's a serious breafkast! However, I was really glad I ate all that food. Met up with my tri team at 8:30 a.m. for what I initially thought was going to be about a 40 mile ride. I thought wrong.

We finally got going over the GG Bridge about 8:45 a.m., and before I knew it, we were in Corte Madera/Larkspur discussing what the route would be. Some were doing Paradise Loop, which I thought would be good since it would amount to about 40 something miles. However, peer pressure is a beautiful and dangerous thing, and I became convinced that I ought to hang on with the rest and go out to Nicasio.

So...with the sun shining and the air crisp, how could I not agree to a longer ride? I also wanted to get to know the group a bit better, and it was a nice bunch of guys, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

I never once regretted my decision. Once you get through Fairfax and further away from the main roads, the hills become less cluttered and pretty soon you realize you're surrounded by a lot of lush, green land that seems to stretch for miles. The houses turn into farms that become further and further apart, with an occasional ranch that gets your attention before you can even see it, since the smell is pungent enough to carry a ways down the road. This is the type of riding I'm used to with the guys up in Santa Rosa, and why I'm willing to drive an hour in the wee hours of a Saturday or Sunday morning. It is so beautiful. It also helps that there are far fewer cars on the road as you get out into the more rural area.

Nicasio is a total cyclist watering hole. We pulled up and there were easily about 20-30 cyclists gathered in different groups, chatting about where their route might take them next, refueling, and taking a quick stretch break. By this time there were only six of us, and three decided to go on to Pt. Reyes and then back, which would add about 10-12 miles to the ride. I know my limits, and I knew I wasn't up for a ride like that at this early point in the season. I knew if I went any further, I might have a difficult time going back. I opted for this to be my halfway point, and Ken and Jim went along with this, too. I somehow managed to gather my second wind about 5 miles from Nicasio, and went back without too much trouble over the climbs.

The ride turned out to be about 57 miles total - the longest ride I've done in a long time! I'm pretty sure that hearty breakfast, along with a Power Bar throughout the ride, saved me. Still, as I said, no regrets. Gorgeous, not really painful (I wasn't even sore!), and it felt good to log some miles. Looking forward to the next one. Now - if you asked me if I was ready to run 13.1 miles after all of that, I'd probably stare at you like you were completely nuts. So I am clearly NOT ready for Vineman. Yet.

Sunday, 3/19: Rest day. Sort of. I stayed up until about 1 a.m. on Sat night getting some last-minute stuff finished for the SCAM meet that I've spent the last 6 months planning and organizing. Woke up at 5:15 a.m. to start the big day. The swim meet went off without a hitch, and I got a number of emails giving me kudos for a well-run and organized meet - talk about a nice feeling! Seeing all of my teammates out there swimming, volunteering, smiling, along with a lot of happy swimmers (some of them from far away!) - it just makes all of that craziness, those months of time-consuming planning all worth it. A lot of people thanked me, but really, to have a successful meet, it had to be a team effort, and it truly was. Go SCAM!!

Monday, 3/20: Definitely rested. Cooked a nice dinner - made edamame salad with Meyer Lemon Vinegarette and a Tilapia Filet. Was in bed by 9:15 and read for 15 minutes!

Tuesday, 3/21: Woke up at 5:30 a.m., go tto the gym by 6:10 a.m. and ran for 40 minutes. I tried keeping my heart rate in the 160 range, but it eventually crept up as I sped up. I can't help it! I know I shouldn't have sped up, but I just...arrrrrgh. I read over and over that the speed will come, but I feel like I ought to practice a LITTLE bit of interval training if I'm on the treadmill and not doing a super long run. The long runs are for going a bit slower, I think. I talked with my friend Eric at the swim meet on Sunday, and he's a distance runner, and quite an accomplished one at that. He's been at it for a long time, so I asked him if he had any quick tips for training for a half marathon. He said he does track runs during the week, and the slower long runs over the weekend. I think I'll keep that in mind as I continue to read and train.

After my run Christine and I lifted weights, focusing on biceps and triceps. I feel it!

So now...what's the plan for the rest of the week? Trying to figure that out.

Wed, 3/22: Ride bike to swim practice at 6:15 a.m.; Ride afterward up Tunnel Road and along Grizzly Peak

Thursday, 3/23: 6:15 a.m. - spin and lift; 6 p.m. swim

Friday, 3/24: 6:15 a.m. - swim, followed by a 15 minute run

Saturday, 3/25: Provided it doesn't rain, a bike ride? Otherwise maybe spin class with swimming in there somewhere

Sunday, 3/26: Maybe swim and spin? Hard to say. I kind of want to play it by ear based on weather and what I can do outside.

My goal this week is really to get some good short runs in, with a lot of swimming. I feel like I've been slacking on that lately. I also need to get this cough checked out because it's not going away and it's starting to annoy me. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. this morning in a coughing fit. Really not cool, because I have a good feeling that's why I felt so sleepy today.

So, PHEW! That's that. I like writing out my plan. Keeps me accountable!

No comments: