Friday, September 26, 2008

Fabulous Friday!

I couldn't let a Friday pass without posting - I ALWAYS post on Fridays! I've GOT to get to bed because I need to get up early in the a.m., so this will be a quick post.

I REALLY appreciate all the great comments - both from the food post on Monday and the spinning post on Tuesday. I can't wait to post about the food I ended up making for friends on Monday evening. There was good and 'eh' but no BAD so that was a HUGE relief! Normally I don't get nervous cooking for people, but chefs seem to be a different story. Still, all ended well and it was a great night for all of us. Recipes in the next post, I promise!

The week had one more dip before it got better. It's always that way, isn't it? Gotta get a little worse before it gets better?

I posted Tuesday evening. I had checked my work calendar before I left that day and the coast looked clear for Wednesday - I was going to swim Wed morning and get a run in after work. Perfect!

Well, Wed rolled around and I couldn't get my lazy butt out of bed. "I'll swim tomorrow," I thought. SNOOOOOZE! (this is where I think I need Clocky)

1 hour later: RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!! My phone. It's ringing. CRAP, IT'S THE YMCA. WTF? OMG. OMG. OMG. It hit me. Hadn't I signed up to sub at the end of September? SH**. Oh God. Isn't this just FREAKING FABULOUS? I start running around the house like a madwoman throwing my spin clothes on, grabbing an old workout from like two months ago, iPod and hat. Okay, OUT THE DOOR, GO!!! Oops, forgot glasses AND contacts. Oh well, I don't need to see anyway.

I made it to the Y by 6:15 a.m. Luckily, one of my SUPER FABULOUS STUDENTS, Robert, had taken control and when I arrived they were all out of the saddle on a climb. Robert is so awesome!

As I walked in I announced "well I'm just having a SWELL WEEK NOW, AREN'T I?" Luckily everybody in the class has a sense of humor and they all laughed and totally were cool about it. Still, I was completely embarrassed. Ugh.

NOTE TO SELF: The purpose of a Palm Pilot is to SYNC IT WITH YOUR WORK CALENDAR. If you only look at your work calendar, it doesn't work so well if you don't sync. Esp. if you write your sub classes in your Palm. Arrrrrrrrrgh...

Yeah, so that was Wednesday. BRILLIANT, SARAH! WHAT A FANTASTIC WEEK!

But then I decided I was going to turn this week around and finish on a high note. Because I could. Because we are in control of our attitudes and our outlooks and our thoughts and no matter how bad it gets, we are responsible for holding our chin up high and continuing to look on the bright side.

So I did and it's been a great finish. Spin class at the Airport Club this morning was fantastic. I felt like I had a little step of progress when some of the students started joking around a little - I got this big smile and thought "okay, some of those walls are coming down, cool!" I learned a few more names and remembered a couple more. I was happy with the class I came up with and the music, so it was all good!

The weekend plan: XC race tomorrow morning! All the way in Hayward so we're heading out at 6:30 a.m. Yikes!

I never did write a race report for the first one, so instead here's what I want to get out of tomorrow's race:
-Pace better. Last time I went out too fast, didn't have enough for the last mile. Tomorrow is only 5K (last one was 4 miles) so I can go a little faster than a few weeks ago.
-Warm up a little closer to the race time. I warmed up but then stood around a little while.

That's about it. I wish my friend Sarah could join again! She's a Berkeley friend that joined in the last XC race just for fun and we had a great time together! I'll miss you, Sarah!

And now, before I head off to dreamland, I'll leave everybody with my songlist for the week. Notice they're a bit different than a lot of the stuff I usually post. I got REALLY sick of my music this week so I went to the depths of my Library and went out on a limb. It was fun!

Today's Spin Class was:
1. Betece - Africando All Stars (I LOVE this group...they ROCK!)
2. Your Woman - White Town
3. The Way - Fastball
4. Sweet Dreams (Hot Remix) - Eurythmics (these kids had way too much time on their hands w/this video but hey good for them...only video I could find of this particular mix)
5. Smooth - Santana w/Rob Thomas
6. Domino - Van Morrison (I LOOOOVE VAN MORRISON!!!)
7. Sing, Sing, Sing (RSL Remix) - Anita O'Day & RSL (from the Verve Remixed 3)
8. Istanbul (not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants (omg...cute video...)
9. Black Horse & Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
10. Last Nite -The Strokes
11. Speed of Sound - Coldplay

Monday's Class:
1. Chariot - Gavin DeGraw
2. September - Earth, Wind, Fire
3. Suerte - Shakira (I think she sings in Spanish way better...)
4. Iron Lion Zion - Bob Marley
5. Corcovado (Knee Deep Remix/Ben Watt Vocal Re-Edit/2002) - Everything But The Girl
6. Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles
7. Man on the Moon - REM
8. It's All Been Done - Barenaked Ladies
9. Help! - Beatles
10. Spiderwebs - No Doubt
11. Heart of Glass - Blondie
12. Stay (Wasting Time) - Dave Matthews Band
13. My Sharona - The Knack
14. Lovely Day - Bill Withers

6 comments:

triguyjt said...

wow...from ray charles to REM...very cool....

love your choice of tunage!!!!

rocketpants said...

so true...it is always up to us to decide how to change our attitudes when things get crazy. Way to turn things around.

Anonymous said...

How many spin cd's do you have? I have about 15 that I cycle through - I don't tend to make new ones very often anymore! EEP - so if you're not there for 6 am spin, they call you, huh? hehehehe. I did Thursday for Alex! Very cool of Robert. Maybe it wiped him out - on Thursday he only came in for the last 15 minutes. HA!

So I really need to pick your brain about your training, what teams you belong to, etc, etc. Next season I really want to do an Olympic tri and also increase my running mileage to a half marathon. Plus my bike skills are laughable! I'm hoping I'll collect enough birthday/christmas money to buy a sweet new specialized bike, but then I need practice on it! I'm thinking about joining a cycling team for that.

See, I'm a joiner, not so much a person who works out on their own. So far, I've had success with running groups at Fleet Feet, and I trained for my sprint triathlon with Jill B. Nimble. As of right now, I'm not sure they'll have an Olympic training program, so I'm thinking about checking out Tri Divas. Have you heard anything about them?

I'm intimidated by Empire Runners, but I think I might be getting closer to feeling like I could join them for some runs sometimes. And cross country? How do you get in to that?

This is my first season racing, and I still have a lot more fitness to attain (and a few more pounds to lose too). I want to challenge myself, have fun, and meet awesome people doing it! So I'd love to hear what your plan is for next season and who the cool people are that I should join up with. :)

Anonymous said...

p.s. the swim workouts you are referring to - are those the master's workouts at finley? I can never get my butt there but maybe I could meet you some morning. That would be motivation!

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Sarah,

On behalf of Exile Productions and Exile Publishing, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison and, for your readers’ info, up-to-the-minute news on Van’s latest album - Keep It Simple - and 2008 shows is, of course, available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison and, for a limited period, you can still see Van's exclusive BBC sessions at http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/vanmorrison/video/ . We’re also pleased to announce that an increasing archive of exclusive film footage of Van Morrison performances has now been made available for fans on Exile’s official YouTube channel at http://uk.youtube.com/user/OfficialExileFilms .

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

Rainmaker said...

I don't know how you manage to be up that early and rockin' away. A simple 8AM swim is tough for me...ugh!

And I LOVE that alarm clock you linked to... but, I'd probably start chucking things at it across the room - like a lamp or something. Not condusive to interior decorating.