Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Running shoes: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8

I fell in love with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 back in February when I went to Sports Basement.

I was graduating from the Ariel down to the Adrenaline due to my awesome orthotics. Right around that time, I found out that Courtenay and Loren were also fans of this shoe, with the one caveat: they didn't seem to last as long as other shoes.

I also remembered Court writing about how she figured it was time for new shoes when she started having pains while running and realized it wasn't because she was just weak (I swear I remember that but I can't find that post...).

About two weeks ago I started having a couple weird twinges of pain right below my knee. Nothing big; I'm so clumsy that I figured I bumped into something like I always do. Then last week after a run on the treadmill I was really kind of hurting. Saturday I went out for an 8.5 mile run - nothing too fast and nothing new. Yet Sunday I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a train.

WTF?! I thought something was so wrong with me, like how did I become so weak all of a sudden? COME ON, BODY, DON'T BE SO WEAK SAUCE!

Then I looked at my mileage on the shoes - 196. I should get more than that, right?

Then I looked at the shoes. Oh.

NO CUSHIONING LEFT WHATSOEVER.

So, when I was in Napkinville Napa on Sunday for Mom's Day I went to the Napa Running Store and got my $92 pair of shoes (and THAT was with a 10% discount!).

Geez...

If I'm going to have to buy these every 3 months, that sucks!

Especially since besides this ONE thing, I LOVE LOVE LOVE these shoes. They fit my feet PERFECTLY, and I've never had any pains or blisters or toenails falling off because of them.

I think it's Brooks' plot to make you have to buy them more often.

Swimming is BY FAR the cheapest sport of the three, unless you want to wear the waterproof mp3 player while swimming.

Hmph. If anybody else had shoe recommendations/reviews (and Ben, I'm well aware of how awesome your KSwiss shoes are) for moderate motion control (aka 'support'), feel free to throw 'em out here.

9 comments:

BreeWee said...

All I can say is change your shoes a lot! It is so expensive but so is the pain we get from injury! Have you tried to get shoe support from anyone? Try that for sure :)

Okay, I am an Asics woman myself. I love the ds trainer & use it for almost every run. I have their light shoes for racing. For heavier shoes any of the 21-- shoes are great.

Best of luck!

Loren Pokorny said...

I get new ones every 3 months - the addiction 7. If you run trails more then they'll last longer but I personally don't like risking a twisted ankle very often, so I use my 10% USAT discount at SB and get them for $80 or so, it's better than 2 stess fractures (which I got before). If you're not a 135-150lb whippet then you're gonna beat on your shoes, regardless of manufacturer.

rocketpants said...

Bummer that they don't last too long. I am an Asic woman...and neutral runner so i don't have any recommendations.

Marit C-L said...

I agree on the asics shoes. Love them = they have worked great for me. I usually get a new pair every 3-4 months. BUT, I also buy extra shoe supporters in the running store, as they help to make my shoes last longer. Its a BAD sign when the tread is coming off! NOT good for your body.

Your 50 year-old self will thank you for your new shoe purchases!

Eileen Swanson said...

I love BROOKS and ASICS. I run in both. I rotate all my shoes so that I am not running in the same pair on back to back run days. Try this too, it may help. Oh, and yes come on over anytime to ride with us! Just let me know. Do you have my email address?

Cheers,
E

Anonymous said...

I am a university level runner and my all team wear asics shoes. Got my last asics shoe from REI.

Mel said...

Asics here too...I am crazy though I will wear a racing flat during everything....I know not good, but it works for me :)

Anonymous said...

I love asics!! I have gone through many different styles from the Gel- Kyano (too high for my legs) then I moved to the Gel-2100, which changed every year to the 2110, 2120 and now the 2130. I ran the boston marathon last year in the 2120 and my legs were dead afterwards, I went into Marathon sports and found out that I was over supported with my slight orthodic and the support of the shoe.

They fitted me into the Gel-Landreths, a much more neutral shoe and coupled with the arch support from super-feet 'black' insert they are AWESOME!!!!! In january I went to SB and looking to buy a new pair BUT the lovely boy told me they stopped making them. I was so sad!! He told me that the gel-nimbus' were comparable, he was WAY WRONG!! I ran in them for a month and a half and then my legs started to ache. The fore step felt hard as a rock and the shoes felt clunky.

I stumbled across the new shoe store in town and was surprised to find this years gel-landreth model up on the wall. My eyes lit up and I tried on a pair, walked around and said 'I AM HOME!!'. Cushy and light, not to mention they cup my foot just right.

The plus side is they are cheaper then the nimbus and most other shoes, I think they are $90 without a discount.

like Loren I tend to go through shoes every 3 months, I agree better to pay for shoes than be stuck on the couch or in the Doc's office with an injury, lord knows I don't need more time there.

Anonymous said...

I live by the brooks outlet in Bothell, Wa, where the older model shoes go to die. For instance, they're still carrying the Adrenaline 7's. You can get them for about 70 dollars per pair. Sometimes they have buy one, get one half off.

Believe you me, it keeps me from going broke running.