Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April already? Thoughts on this blog.

Holy crap, I can't believe my last post was in January. Where did the last 3 months go?

Well, in that time, I've gone from cautious Paleo adopter to full on Primal. I love it and I'm never going back to bread, legumes, processed sugar and eating cheese 7 days a week. The way I feel is awesome. But more on that later.

Maybe I'm not posting because I hate my blog layout right now. But maybe, more than anything, it is just time to hang up this blog and leave it to the search engine junkyard for mining. I want to get back into social media - namely, Twitter and blogging, because I enjoy it. I just don't have a lot of extra time these days. But also, this was started as a triathlon blog. I may do an occasional triathlon here or there down the road, but I think my attitude has changed too much from what it was to consider myself a triathlete.

But then what will I write about? Probably a mixture of indoor cycling thoughts, Primal-inspired recipes (you thought I used to cook a lot? Ha. I realized that I used to be a person who "cooked occasionally" to a person who cooks 2-3 times/day. And loves it.), thoughts on life, points of view from the dog's perspective (Marney has taught me a lot, too), and of course, I will still write prodigiously on great bike rides and swims. Probably not so many runs.

(Marney reminds me it's good to stop running and take a break!)

In short, I will be working over the next month to build a new blog. This one will stay up. But it will direct anybody who wants to follow the next chapter of my life to a new spot on the enormity that is the web.

Triathlon was a whole chapter in my life. A very good chapter that taught me a lot about life, myself and helped me to learn that no matter what happens, I will always ADORE swimming and biking. Running - eh, well, I'll be up for a run if it's the only thing I can do, or if it's a slow run through a state park that can be enjoyed in the company of a good friend, or if it can be a run/walk. Running is not the worst thing ever. It's just not my favorite and I'm ok with that.

Triathlon, however, was also an escape for me. It was an escape during a big chunk of my 20s when I could have been exploring other potential business ventures. It was a way to say I had to 'be somewhere' (swimming/biking/running) when really I could have been furthering my knowledge. I could have been learning about gardening, cooking, etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong; I don't regret it in any way. But I do acknowledge that I was running from something as I found a sport to occupy so. much. time.

So, I'm 31 now. I started this when I was 24. Holy crap. 24?! First triathlon in 2005...yep, 24. Not only do I feel old but sh** - wow how my priorities and interests and cares and joys have changed. I love my garden. I love my dog. I love Matt. (not in that order!) Definitely time to move along.

I'm going to call it a day now. Time to go turn that grilled Balsamic-Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin. 
 

No comments: