Monday, October 01, 2007

Post-season thoughts

Now that the endorphins have died down, I’ve had some time to reflect on this race and the year.

Overall, I made some really significant gains. My swim times improved as a result of my hard work on my form. My running has REALLY improved and I credit this to finally getting orthotics. Once I had them for my shoes, I was really able to start putting more distance runs into my training without worrying about injury. I’d like to get my half marathon time down to 1:45 if I can. I’m still on cloud 12 for the fact that I finished the run in 1:50 and paced 8:25/mile.

And then there’s the bike. I was somewhat disappointed by my bike time at Big Kahuna. I really thought I should’ve gone faster. I will say I felt better when Michellie Jones HERSELF said she found the bike course “challenging.” (On a side note, I asked to shake her hand and I congratulated her on her amazing season. Then I had nothing left to say. She is INCREDIBLE!)

I know that the Labor Day ride was a factor in my slowness. However, there remains a weakness of mine in cycling: hills. I think by the end of the bike course those rollers had really added up! Granted, I’m no slow poke up the hills. But I’m not as fast as I could be and it’s just time for me to spend these winter months getting in some good quality hill repeats.

It’s also going to be a winter full of bike adjustments. I think there’s some fine tuning that needs to happen with the new bike to really get my position optimal for power output.

So now what? I’m going to do a 5K Turkey Trot with my sister in November – she’s just getting started in the running world. Maybe a couple of other 10Ks. I have a couple of century rides this month (Konocti Century & Foxy’s Fall Century – both highly recommended). I’d like to do some cross country skiing this winter to maintain my endurance and strength. More yoga. Shed a few more pounds (in winter – very challenging!).

Next year: The season will start early, with the California 70.3 in March. There are so many things I’d like to do, like my first double century, some bike racing and some Olympic races I’ve never done before. However, my ultimate and main goal is to have a fantastic race at the California 70.3 to qualify for Clearwater; PR at Vineman and race Clearwater in November.

We’ll see what happens!

3 comments:

Paul said...

Hey Sarah,

Cool recap on your year. Michellie Jones is always super friendly and nice :). The Kahuna bike course is not easy! It definitely takes work to keep solid pacing out there!

Are you doing the California 70.3 in March? I usually come out to watch that one (too early and cold for me). I'm sure you'll be able to get to Clearwater next year. I'm very interested to see how they fix it this year after the inaugural draft fest.

Enjoy your off season!

Sarah said...

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reassurance about the Kahuna bike course. I read so many blogs where people talked about how 'easy' it was...ummm...no!! Not if you're trying to go above 21 mph, anyway...

Yes, I plan on doing the California 70.3 and I WANT TO GET TO CLEARWATER! So it's a draft-fest, eh? Interesting.

I'll probably ask you questions about it as it gets closer since you saw it last year (and I imagine you probably knew some folks who did it).

Take care!
S

Anonymous said...

I sure LOVE YOU!
Matt