Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Tangent: THE ANNUAL BYOBW LOCATION HAS MOVED!!!

*breathe* *breathe* *breathe*

Okay, let's back up for one moment. For those not in the know, the annual BYOBW (Bring Your Own Big Wheel) is a race that happens at the top of San Francisco's curvy Lombard Street on Easter Sunday. It brings out tons of participants (they have multiple heats!) and hundreds of spectators. I have yet to participate myself (dang family obligations on Easter!), but have become a big fan of the event and follow it every year, checking out the multiple videos and photos that are posted after the big race.

One friend even went so far as to send me a picture of a bike I could get just for this race - not that I would really buy it, but it was hilarious to have a friend email this to me and say "hey Sarah, I may have a connection...let's talk."

SO ANYWAY, I was just thinking that the BYOBW is just around the corner. Upon viewing their website here, I was horrified to find out that they are changing the location (still to be announced)! Apparently the landscaping of Lombard Street really took a hit, and while the BYOBW folks raised enough money to pay for foliage restoration, they have asked the event to be moved elsewhere.

The thing is, part of what makes that event so hilarious is the steepness and curvature of the course. Without Lombard Street, will it still have the same charm??? Feedback welcomed. I'm just not sure it will ever be the same (or as popular), but maybe I'm totally wrong.

There's also lots of photos/videos from the event on Flickr, Laughing Squid, jwz.org, and YouTube. Enjoy - I sure do. :)

No comments: