Wednesday, June 22, 2005

4 days until my first Tri!

Okay, it's been awhile. I've been busy - training, for one. After Berryessa I decided it was time to step it up and be serious, as I knew there were only 3 weeks from that point until the San Jose International Tri.

So...am I ready?

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Heck YES I am!"

I've done my bricks...eaten well...invested in a heart-rate monitor (oh come on, half the fun of all of this is the toys you get to invest in)...went and observed the Escape from Alcatraz Tri two weeks ago so that I could watch what the pros did in the transition area...kept my ears open but haven't attempted to read every word on the subject...

I think that's about all I can do. I'm beginning to get those giddy butterflies in my stomach, but really, more than anything, I'm excited. I want to see what I'm capable of. Maybe I'll be slower than molasses, who knows? But I know that I love swimming, I love cycling, and I like running now. I'm itching to know what it's going to feel like in the transition area as I attempt to remain calm and collected, but move about quickly and efficiently. I'm craving to see what that rush will be like as I hop on my bike, still wet from the swim, changing mental and physical gears in anticipation of 26 miles of fast pedaling (thank you, spinning class!). I'm dying to know how bad it's going to feel when I get off that bike and tell my legs to carry me quickly for 6.2 miles.

Hello, lactic acid.

Despite all of that, I know I can do this. It's just a matter of how much I'm willing to push myself. It's interesting because it's such a different feeling than when I was prepping for my first open water swims.

At this point, I am now tapering. Didn't swim today. I might do a light swim tomorrow morning, and then will just go for some walks on Friday and Saturday. It's difficult to stop yourself from exercising when it becomes such a large part of your day.

Going this evening to obtain a wetsuit (even though I feel like a WUSS, it's what you do in tris, since a wetsuit gives you an advantage, and I'll admit, you use less energy because you're not having to try to stay as warm). I think once I have that, I'll be set.

Speaking of swimming in open water, I swam in the Bay last week - 54 degrees! I was so proud of myself for being able to overcome the cold and stay in. I wore a thermal cap (no wetsuit - just swimsuit) which helped big time, since you lose a lot of heat through your head. Made a big difference. After about 35 minutes, I was ready to get out. Unfrotunately, it was afterward that sucked - it took about an hour to warm back up!

So...that's all for now. I'll try to log an entry the day before. That's all for now!

S

p.s. I've registered for a couple other events:
-Tour d'Organics 100 mile ride on Sunday, 8/21 in Sebastopol, CA
-Santra Cruz Sentinel Olympic Distance Triathlon on Sunday, 10/2 in Santa Cruz, CA

Still under consideration:
-Donner Lake Triathlon
-Pacific Grove Triathlon
-Treasure Island

No comments: